- Identify types of medical errors common in counseling and a comprehensive integrated system of care
- Discuss pain assessment and management techniques and how pain influnces the comprehensive treatment process
- Identify common documentation and communication errors in counseling and among multidisciplinary teams which may lead to medical errors
- Medical Errors 2013
- Assist the clinician in understanding the array of problems considered "medical errors"
- Help the clinician identify effective preventative and intervention measures to reduce the liklihood of a medical error
- Inform clinician about the array of medical, mental health and substance abuse diagnoses which have simmilarities
- Assist the clinician in being able to accurately differentially diagnose and/or refer as needed for further testing.
- Inform the clinician about different categories of drugs and their impact on a fetus
- Discuss the appropriate way to address domestic violence issues and the impact of domestic violence issues left unattended.
- LEARNER OBJECTIVES
This medical errors course has been approved by the Florida Board for Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Clinical Social Workers as well as by NBCC and NAADAC.
1. Describe why strategic planning for medication safety is vital to all healthcare organizations
2. Identify the seven components necessary in a strategic plan for medication safety
3. Identify who should be involved in the medication safety planning process
4. Identify the processes that will assist participants in making appropriate judgments and decisions
5. Identify goals, communicate relevant changes in processes and procedures and evaluate progress towards goals
6. Initiate process assessments to identify areas needing safety improvements
7. Understand what the various stakeholders and contributors have to offer
8. Identify the 10 Key Elements of the Medication Use System and ways they can be promoted in the students own work setting
9. Identify the purpose of system redundancies
10. Identify error-prone processes in their organization
This course is still pending approval by the Florida Board of Mental Health, but is approved by most other bodies i.e. NBCC, NAADAC
Preview best practices here