As more agencies compete for state and federal dollars, they are moving toward hiring professionals that are trained both as Licensed Professional Counselors as well as Certified Addiction Counselors. In many agencies, being a certified addictions counselor can increase your rate of pay between $1.50 and $3 per hour or $3000 to $6000 per year, and make you eligible for a variety additional positions in addictions counseling.
The Florida Certification Board, for example, has certification programs for Certified Addictions Counselors (CAC), Certified Addictions Professionals (CAP), Certified Online Counselor, and Certified Mental Health technician. Many of these certifications have different levels based on your education. For example, persons in Florida who are already licensed professional counselors, licensed mental health counselors, or licensed clinical social workers through the Florida Board of Mental Health Counseling can take online training in addiction counseling from a FCB or NAADAC approved provider in order to become a Certified Addictions Counselor. AllCEUs provides affordable online continuing education credits for counselors, and NBCC approved continuing education and online training for addictions and mental health professionals.
In Iowa, people are allowed to get all of their certified addiction counselor training hours online; however, once you are certified, you can only get up to 50% of your continuing education courses from online resources.
Want to get certified? You can get all of your required training through AllCEUs click here to go to our addictions counselor training portal.
Check with your state addiction counselor certification board to see what their requirements are. In many cases, the hours you have already worked in community mental health can count towards your contact hours for certification.
Registration will close on January 4th.
Orientation is on January 4th at 10am at our offices–
WHO: Anyone interested in becoming a licensed alcohol and drug counselor.
WHAT: This training series provides the 270 face to face academic training hours required to be eligible for an alcohol and drug counselor license or certification in most states.
WHEN: Class times are from 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm each Saturday. You can choose either the morning session, the evening session or the whole-day training. If you choose the half day, it will take 90 weeks to complete. If you choose the whole day, you will be done in 40 weeks.
COST: $10/contact hour, payable weekly. A 20% discount is available for those who pay a month or more in advance.
WHERE: We can accommodate 16 people in our Lebanon, TN offices and 9 people via live, interactive video presence. If you are one of the people attending via live, interactive video, you will need to install VSee on your computer or ipad (It is like skype, but more stable) so the instructor can interact with you in real-time. You will only need the free account
HOW: Email [email protected] or call us at 615-220-6005 to get a registration form emailed to you and to discuss you specific training needs.
NOTE: Once we establish how many people are going to be in the addiction counselor training track, we will open up remaining slots each week to LPCs needing NBCC approved CEUs and LADCs needing NAADAC approved CEUs.
Nearly every state EXCEPT Florida, Massachusetts, Montana, New York, Oregon, Virginia and Wyoming limit the number of independent study, asynchronous, online CEUs. It is becoming increasingly important to check with your state board to verify acceptable continuing education activities.
The wording in the statutes is very vague in most cases. What is and is not allowed? Our belief is that the intent of the statutes was to limit self-study and online learning that did not allow real-time interaction with the instructor. Our webinars
• Have a live instructor (and occur in real time just like a traditional class)
• Provide an interactive with a monitored chat room and regular polls of students
• Require login with a username and password
• Log your IP address to verify your identity
• Have a brief quiz at the end so the participant can demonstrate mastery of the material
AllCEUs is working hard to make sure that you have affordable options. Beginning Friday September 6th, we will be offering a weekly 1 hour, online interactive CEU workshop at 2pm EST/1pm CST.
It is easy. You will:
1. Purchase the course.
2. Login to the course by 5pm EST
3. Click on the link to open the conference window
4. Choose a nickname (we suggest first name, last initial)
5. At 5pm, the course will begin.
6. When the course is over, you will be directed to the brief, 10 question quiz.
7. Once you pass the quiz you can print your certificate.
(1) For purposes of renewing or reactivating a license, credit is approved for the following:…
(e) Continuing education programs offered and approved by the following entities as long as such entities impose requirements similar to or more stringent than those imposed by the Board in subparagraphs 64B4-6.004(2)(a)1.-5., F.A.C.:
1. National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC);
2. American Association of Sex Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT);
3. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH);
4. National Association of Social Work (NASW);
5. American Psychological Association (APA);
6. Clinical Social Work Federation (CSWF);
7. Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB);
8. American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP);
9. American Psychiatric Association;
10. International Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Counselors (AMFC);
11. American Association of State Counseling Boards (AASCB);
12. American Counseling Association (ACA);
13. American Mental Health Counseling Association (AMHCA);
14. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT); and
15. Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB).
Thankfully, there are only a few states such as Ohio and California that require providers to have their particular state certification even if they have national certifications.