Objectives Uses TAP 21 to educate potential supervisors about their responsibilities and knowledge areas.
Use the text Workforce Development TIPS
LEARNER OBJECTIVES1. Define clinical supervision
2. Discuss the purpose of supervision
3. Delineate the differences between supervision and counseling
4. Identify ten principles for leadership in the new organizational structure
5. Identify agency stakeholders
6. Discuss what traits make an effective supervisor.
7. Self-evaluate in order to be able to articulate answers to personal philosophy questions
9. Examine approaches to supervision including developmental, psychodynamic, the skills
model, the systems model and the alcohol and drug abuse model.
10. Examine unique characteristics of addictions
11. Discuss what is involved in establishing a supervisory relationship including
contracts, individual development plans, referrals,
12. Discuss how to assess the learning environment in your supervision setting
13. Learn about limits and managing the supervisory workload
14. Identify multiple methods for observation and the unique strengths and weaknesses of
15. Become familiar with the five types of supervisory intervention and methods for
16. Identify the six core areas for counselor competencies
17. Identify several major sources of anxiety for supervisees and methods to assist them
18. Develop a list of solution-focused methods for assisting supervisees in overcoming
19. Define burnout and methods for burnout prevention