- Identify the primary medications used to manage substance withdrawal and describe when they should be used
- Identify the drugs currently FDA-approved for the treatment of substance use disorders
- Identify a patient's stage of disease and whether and when to use pharmacotherapy including key indications and contraindications.
- To identify and define the purpose of 9 types of psychotropic drug classes.
- To name common side effects and risks of these classes of drugs.
- To list the five strategies for aiding tobacco users willing to quit (Five A's) and unwilling to quit (5 Rs).
- To identify and describe life-threatening syndromes that can develop as a result of taking psychopharmacological medication.
- To educate the counselor in ways to encourage medication compliance in client sessions.
- Discuss the different self-help group options
- Evaluate the pros and cons of each type of self-help group
- Explain why pain management matters.
- Name various treatment team members.
- List drug and non-drug treatment options.
- Learn the three classes of analgesics.
- Name goals of pain therapy.
- Develop skills for communicating with a medical practitioner about pain.
- Describe pain using numerical, verbal and visual scales.
- Discuss concerns for use of opiod medication for pain treatment.
- Discuss and describe the "Opiod Contract".
- List the five classes of Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Identify prevalence of Complementary and Alternative Medicine in the U.S.
- Compare and contrast Injection and Infusion therapies.
- Identify benefits and drawbacks of various treatments.
- Learn four stress management techniques.
- Classify methods of pain management that can be completed by the client on their own.
- Learn about promising new treatment options.
- Enhance viewers’ understanding of current trends as well as the negative behaviors that promote excessive alcohol and illicit drug use.
- Develop an understanding of the recovery culture and how it reflects the courage, positive language, shared values and behaviors that surround individuals striving to overcome substance use disorders.
1. Identify the most commonly used and abused drugs
2. identify symptoms of overdose and withdrawal from most commonly abused drugs
3. define protracted withdrawal
4. define tolerance and cross tolerance
5. match substance effects on the body with the correct substance
6. identify the effects of each substance on unborn children
7. discuss the effects of each substance on athletic performance
8. become familiar with the Jellinek curve
9. identify web sites and activities to use when doing community education presentations