Resilience is a process or lifestyle that enables people to bounce back in the face of adversity.
Characteristics “Assets” of Resilient People– The 6 Cs
- Coping: The ability to effectively balance negative and positive emotions and manage strong impulses.
- Control/Autonomy: A sense of personal identity and ability to act independently to exert some control over one’s situation.
- Character: A sense of purpose and future stemming from awareness of what is most important to helping you life a rich and meaningful life.
- Confidence in one’s strengths and abilities to successfully navigate life and handle distress.
- Competence: Ability to use skills to mitigate emotions and successfully problem solve.
- Connection to yourself, understanding your own needs and wants, and to others who can support and encourage you.
Steps to Happiness When Life Sucks
- Support others
- Take stress breaks
- Remember your comebacks
- Identify your strengths
- Identify your resources
- Take care of yourself physically
- Radical Acceptance and New Beginnings
- View adversity as an opportunity for growth
- Practice optimism
- Focus on small positive changes
- Focus on what you can control
- Change the situation causing the distress
- Control the meaning of the situation: Severity, importance, personal responsibility
- Control the stress response through relaxation, exercise, verbal or written expression
View the Counseling CEU course for this presentation.
This course is also included in our unlimited CEU packages.